Move On Up With Modern Tyres
Win a VW UP City car at Modern Tyres
Tyre experts urge drivers to check pressure in summer months
AUGUST is traditionally a hazardous month for drivers due to long summer journeys and increased road temperatures.
TyreSafe, one of the UK's leading tyre safety organisations, estimates that approximately nine million cars in the UK are being driven with seriously or severely under-inflated tyres.
Local tyre company, Modern Tyres, is urging drivers in Northern Ireland to get their tyres checked before setting off on journeys as low tyre pressure is a major cause of tyre failure, particularly in hot weather or when vehicles are heavily laden.
Last summer, Modern Tyres noticed a 5% increase in the number of customers who required new tyres due to the damage caused by driving with under inflated tyres.
The company offers a no-obligation, free tyre health check in all of its 30 depots Province-wide and is calling upon drivers to avail of this service.
Stephen Shaw, Sales and Marketing Manager with Modern Tyres comments:
“Drivers’ safety is our number one priority. Throughout the summer months, the rising road temperatures can impact on the wear and tear of tyres if the pressure is below the legal limit. For drivers, a tyre health check takes just a couple of minutes and it’s completely free.
“It’s especially important to have tyre pressure and tread depth checked before embarking upon long summer drives and I would encourage all drivers to avail of our free tyre health check in a bid to minimise the potential for accidents.”
In addition, today, 29th July 2014, Modern Tyres launched its biggest-ever car giveaway promotion – Move On Up with Modern Tyres – with the help of Miss Northern Ireland, Rebekah Shirley.
Running until the 30th of September, Modern Tyres has teamed up with Bridgestone to offer customers the chance to win a Volkswagen Up worth over £8,000!
With 30 depots nationwide, Modern Tyres is offering all customers who purchase one or more Bridgestone tyres before the end of September, the chance to win the multi award- winning city car.
“To thank our thousands of customers for their continued business, we’ve teamed up with Bridgestone to giveaway a Volkswagen Up! ‘Move on Up’ is our biggest-ever promotion and it’ll be ‘happy driving’ for one lucky customer in September when they win a new car worth £8,000,” said Stephen Shaw, Sales and Marketing Manager with Modern Tyres.
Peter Dickson from Bridgestone Ireland adds:
“Bridgestone, as the largest manufacturer of tyres and rubber products worldwide and number one in Ireland, is delighted and proud to partner with Northern Ireland’s largest independent tyre retailer, Modern Tyres for this fantastic promotion.”
Modern Tyres is Northern Ireland’s largest independent tyre retailer, employing over 200 people in 30 depots across the Province. The family –run business also has 10 depots in Ireland, following the acquisition of the Hanover Tyres in July 2013.
In 2015, Modern Tyres will celebrate 50 years in business.
Modern Tyres’ top tips for safer driving this summer:
1. Check your tyre pressure
· it With the summer months, comes rising road temperatures. It’s important to never drive with your tyre tread below the legal limit. Low tread depth, when combined with the heat of the roads, leads to greater tyre damage and an increased risk of blowouts.
2. Keep cool in the summer
· Watch the air con. Circulating air and keeping cool in summer is very important but on a hot summer’s day, don’t crank up the air con too much as this will lead to a major temperature change for the body when exiting the car.
· 2 4 degrees Celsius (75 F) is the recommended level to keep you cool in summer months
3. Tow safely
· T Towing caravans and trailers increases the pressure on tyres therefore it’s crucial that tyres are correctly inflated before heading off on journeys. Also check your vehicle’s manual before towing as the pressure for your vehicle may need to be adjusted.
· C Conduct an overall inspection of the tyres, paying particular attention to any cracks or cuts.
4. Roads for all
· D During the summer months, non-car traffic on our roads increases. Thanks to the bright summer evenings, many more pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists will be using the road. It’s vital to give them adequate space when overtaking.
5. From dawn to dusk
· it With the light changing at dawn and dusk, this can be one of the most hazardous times for drivers. Always keep a pair of unscratched sunglasses in your car to help with blinding sunrises and sunsets, and make sure your windscreen is clean.